Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Great Negro Spiritual



Before anyone calls the police to report my racial mixing of sacred religious icons, I want to praise the quest for salvation from birth through pupation of life. Lou Reed sings about the crucifixion and salvation of his cross in this song. About the desire for freedom from the pain of existence. The same pain of existence that the reenact each week in churches everywhere. Free me from the pain of existence. Take me home to the bosom of mother. Suckle me. Keep me safe oh lord. Please take my pain. I am all alone. Even with everyone crowding up next to me, almost touching me. Just keep me from being afraid because I don't know what is going on. I feel positive about the whole thing, the future, flying blind, but I don't know if I can do it. Give me strength. I feel just like Jesus' son...

It is all the same story. The great negro spirituals about freedom. Take me home mama. Can you see Paul Robeson singing Heroin? Well, maybe Buckwheat Zydeco or Ziggy Marley. But can you imagine being backed up by Max Roach on drums, George Clinton on base, Cecil Taylor on chaos, and de la soul for harmony. And Michael Faranti on integrity. Sweet Honey and the Rock as backup? Let freedom ring.

Imagine them performing this song as a spiritual. It would be first and foremost, a beautiful event to have those guys performing together. But it could also open a tiny connection between cultures at the side.


Here is a cubist view of the song...






No comments: