Thursday, January 15, 2009

Party @ The End of the World



Time goes on forever, without end.

Or so it is generally believed. And me, I don't know at all. I am just along for the ride.

But we have a big party to pull off. Seven continents. One moment.

Here is the skinny: the party will be spread out on 12/20&21/2012.

We are going to celebrate the Mayan end of an eon. Their calendar ends. How cool is that? What other culture has ever designed a calendar to end? Most are forced to embrace the unknown of the infinite. With the end of the Mesoamerican Calendar, we get to redefine the world as we inhabit a new eon. What do we want to do with it? What do we want to keep from this old eon and take into the new culture of our own creation?

Now you see why we need to have a party. A possible eon is ending, and as far as I know, it is the only eon ending in my lifetime, so I want to be there front and center.



I figure we will need Michael Stypes and R.E.M. to perform (you guys have to stay alive til then) the song EOTW(AWKI). Oliveri, it is your job to get them to agree to do it. I think they should perform as part of a globally televised concert, with performers all over the world from every continent. Maybe have members of the band on each continent, linked digitally. Net performances in every city and village. A cosmic song. We are the world. It is the end of the world and I feel fine.

I can imagine a stage at the base of Kilimanjaro. One on the Yangtze River. Athens. Stonehenge. Woodstock. Wherever.

I propose that this is not just another Bacchanalian ecstasy rave, but a celebration of human achievement and human failures. What did we get right, what did we get wrong. A day of judgement. A day of forgiveness. A day forward. Start drawing up lists of accomplishments and failures. I am not sure we have to worry about full documentation, truth stands on its own.

There are a lot of examples of how to do this. Bob Geldorf has pulled a few big, rudimentary events off. The Chinese did the 2008 Olympics Opening Ceremony. Obama is doing a stay-at-home-and-celebrate inauguration complete with a day of service (and he is probably going to pull it off with a 0.5% participation rate).

We need volunteers. I hope Dan offers. And Flo (you out there Flo?)

2 comments:

MarcLord said...

I haven't played the YouTube yet. Do you mean that YouTube should be on the list of mankind's accomplishments, Marilyn Monroe, or both?

Still Life Living said...

watch and ye shall see, oh hordie